- Start with cleansed hydrated skin: Make sure to wash your skin before applying foundation, and always use a moisturizer.
- Exfoliate: Give your skin the perfect canvas for makeup. Exfoliating once a week removes dead skin and creates the perfect canvas for foundation.
- Let your moisturizer set: Give your facial moisturizer about 5 minutes to soak into your skin before applying any makeup.
- Compliment your skin type: Find a foundation that suits your skin. For dry skin types, use a hydrating formula. For sensitive skin, use a non-comenogenic fragrance free foundation, and oily skin should use water based formulas.
- Conceal: Apply concealer before your foundation to cover any imperfections.
- Choose the right shade: When picking out a color, make sure to do a swatch on your cheek and jawline in natural sunlight.
- Change with the season: As the seasons change, you should also be switching your foundation color. Opt for a darker shade during the summer months.
- Applying foundation: Add a small amount of foundation to the back of your hand. Using the tip of a foundation brush, lightly pat the foundation on your skin. Apply in small dots, on forehead, cheeks and chin. Work your way around your entire face and neck in circular motions.
- Finish with a translucent setting powder: This sheer powder will set your foundation and make it last all day.
Foundation Do’s and Don’ts
Do use foundation that matches your skin tone
Do apply foundation on your eyelids
Do Moisturize before applying foundation
Do apply concealer before foundation
Don’t cake your foundation onto your face. Apply in small dots.
Don’t rely on your foundation to “fix” your skin. Always take care and prep your skin for the perfect canvas.